Services > Community Development
No Drain Tile is to be installed until:
1. Foundation wall poured and all forms stripped.
2. All exterior wall ties are removed.
3. All the holes are tarred over.
4. All honeycombs are patched and tarred over.
5. Footings are dry and swept clean.
6. Walls and tops of footings damp-proofed.
After above is completed, drain tile may be installed.
1. Top of drain tile to be installed at or below the
area to be protected, ordinarily placed at the bottom of
the footing level, on top of a minimum 2 inch washed
gravel bed (IRC Section R-405.1).
2. Cover with washed gravel (no pea gravel) at least 1
foot beyond outside edge of the footing and 6 inches above
the top of the footing (IRC Section R-405.1).
3. Cover with a filter membrane material, such as red
rosin paper or building paper, held tight to foundation
wall. Cover or secure paper with dirt or stone to hold it
in place during backfill (IRC Section R-405.1).
4. If a nylon sock covered drain tile is used, the filter
membrane material is not required.
5. Window well drains shall have grates installed. The
vertical drain pipe shall be blocked out from the
foundation wall with at least (2) 2' x 4's or
approximately 3 inches. The pipe shall be installed as
near the center of area well as possible. All work shall
be conducted, installed and completed in a workmanlike and
acceptable manner so as to secure the results intended by